To the Editor

Traditions strengthen an institution.

Traditions like Cans Around the Oval, T’BGLAD Week, the Homecoming Parade, Pre-Vet Club, Women’s Volleyball, RAM Welcome and the Men’s Project, just to name a few.

Challenges allow students to learn the meaning of teamwork, experience the opportunity for goal setting and personal growth, and discover the agony of defeat and sweetness of success. Why focus on making fun of other institutions in an effort to make ourselves feel stronger? Wouldn’t it be more productive to improve our own self-worth?

If you are proud to be a CSU Ram, volunteer with your friends, learn more about your fellow students, excel in your academic studies, cheer for the athletes who represent the university and, overall, challenge yourself to be a productive member of the community.

Isn’t it more appropriate to focus on the positive within us rather than seeking out the negative in others? Sports aren’t always nice, and neither is life. But I believe most individuals would rather win a game, meet a goal or ace a test because they prepared, work hard and performed well, not because the competition was less than stellar.

Remember, pride is a result of high self-respect and self-esteem, not the lack thereof in others. Let’s focus on ourselves and make this year the best CSU has ever seen.

Emily Gaspar

Residence Director & Alumna

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

As a junior here at CSU, and a devout Ram fan, I’ve learned that part of the experience of the football game doesn’t come from the football team. It doesn’t come from Hughes Stadium, and it certainly doesn’t come from Sonny Lubick. While if it weren’t for Hughes, Sonny or the team we’d have nothing to do on a Saturday afternoon, the biggest part of our football season comes from the fans.

From the ultimate fans who show up in a duct tape suit or paint on their chests or even a band uniform, to those kids who came just for a game of football and some beer. Being such a diverse campus, football games had the ingredients to unite us as the Buffalo-hating Ram fans we are. I think having a tune that we all loved to cheer is a good idea, but whether we have Fum’s Song or not shouldn’t matter. There are still plenty of other things to yell, led by your very own Marching Band, Golden Poms and Cheerleaders. I must admit I was shocked when I read in the newspaper that someone thought Fum’s Song was our actual school fight song. So, I thought it’d be appropriate to post in one more place the school’s REAL fight song:

“Fight on you stalwart Ram team

On to the goal, Tear the Buffaloes’ (or whoever we’re playing) line asunder

As down the field we thunder Knights of the green and gold

Fight with all your might

Fight on you stalwart Ram team

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! GO RAMS!”

Instead of opening our season protesting, ring in the New Year cheering on our beloved Rams. Besides, the only time we should sing about CU or Wyoming is when we’re singing them goodbye.

Molly Southern

Junior Music Education Major

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

Someone from the university pulled Fum’s Song and students are really upset.

Legislation normally has to be turned in a week ahead of time, but we are asking for emergency status. We ask the Senate if we can present this legislation during the meeting and normally they will say yes.

It is a resolution, an opinion of students. As a senator, it is my job to represent what the students want, so that is what I am doing.

For the first meeting it is a really huge topic. The students are really upset and that is where we are coming from.

Our overall goal is to have it state the students’ opinions and it will tell everyone that students would like to see the return of Fum’s Song. It has different parts, like the Facebook group and the history of Fum’s Song. Every detail we have is going into the bill. We want to understand all aspects so the Senate understands where we are coming from.

We encourage students to come and voice their opinions.

Katrina Aspnes

Senator for College of veterinary medicine and Biomedical Sciences