Authors: MEGAN TRUSTY The Rocky Mountain Collegian

A new full-service hotel proposed for downtown Fort Collins is in early stages of development, according to the Fort Collins Downtown Development Authority.

While details about the size of the hotel and its budget are not known yet, the hope is it’ll open in two to three years, said Chip Steiner, FCDDA executive director.

The hotel may be built on the corner of Remington and Olive streets, in the Remington Street parking lot, Steiner said. The lot, which is located behind popular local stores such as Full Cycle and Tony’s Bar, will provide a central location in Old Town for the hotel.

Potential neighbors of the new hotel expressed mixed feelings about its location. Tom Hraha, a Fort Collins resident and employee of Full Cycle, said he thinks the hotel would be good for business in the downtown area but worries that it may make Old Town more cluttered.

Hraha also had concerns that the new hotel will make parking more difficult for those who work downtown.

“A lot of business people use that parking lot,” he said. “It’s going to be a pain in the ass for them.”

Chris Norris, a junior English major, said the hotel might be a good thing for downtown, especially for people who have had too much to drink and need a place to stay.

“It would be nice if they could build it to fit in with everything else in Old Town and not stand out too much,” he added.

Steiner said the decision was made to build downtown simply because there is a need for rooms there. The FCDDA has chosen Corporex Companies, LLC, a Cincinnati-based company, to work on the development of the new hotel. Information about when construction will begin on the hotel is not yet available.

Staff writer Megan Trusty can be reached at news@collegian.com.