Authors: Vimal Patel The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The 2006 Fum’s Song uprising continued Tuesday, with the student government set to vote tonight on whether to place a resolution supporting Fum’s Song on emergency status.

If senators vote to grant the status, then the bureaucratic process will be smashed and senators tonight will vote to take an official stance on the issue.

“They could listen to us, they could not listen to us, but it’s expressing our opinion officially,” said Stacey Smith, a senator for the College of Liberal Arts.

The ASCSU meeting is set for 6:30 p.m. in the Senate Chambers of the Lory Student Center. The public is welcome to attend.

The fallout over the university’s decision to quit playing Fum’s Song – a playful war cry penned and sang by legendary CSU athlete Thurman “Fum” McGraw that chided CSU’s athletics opponents – continued Tuesday.

The university would play McGraw singing the song between the third and fourth quarters of home football games. The song’s lyrics included “Don’t send my son to Brigham Young, I’d rather see him dead” and “Before I’d see him in Boulder, I’d see my son in hell.”

University spokesman Brad Bohlander said athletics officials deemed the song too offensive, and said the department made a “business decision” not to continue playing the song.

Officials said that the song is in no way banned, but that it simply won’t be played on the giant electronic screen at Hughes Stadium.

Meanwhile, by Tuesday afternoon the Facebook group started on Saturday by Kyle Bell, which helped spark the Fum movement, had reached more than 1,800 members.

A CSU student, sophomore Felicia Bergman, even began printing and selling “Fum You” shirts. As of Tuesday afternoon, she’d already sold more than 60 at $15 a pop, she said.

At the ASCSU meeting tonight, senators will discuss the issue before the vote.

Smith said she wanted to act while student passion was hot.

“This issue came up like a ball of fire and it could go away like a ball of fire,” she said.

The song even made its way to the classroom, where the president of the Alumni Association, a vocal critic of the university’s decision, reiterated his support for the song.

Tom Field sang the ditty to his Agricultural Sciences class Tuesday morning. Dozens of giggling students sang along, none as passionately as Field.

“Western movies have John Wayne,” he said before the group singing. “We have Fum McGraw.”