Authors: COLLEEN TIMOTHY The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Although the Transit Center has been open for a week, the grand opening of the center was held Monday afternoon.

With the theme, “Building a Legacy through Sustainable Partnership,” notable figures from CSU and Fort Collins, including Sen. Wayne Allard, came together to celebrate the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

“It’s great to come back to see the university grow and prosper,” said Allard, a CSU alumnus. “This is a very good resource for CSU students because it gives them the opportunity to take the bus anywhere around Fort Collins. If they want to go downtown or to a restaurant, that resource is here.”

The new Transit Center added more than 14,000 square feet to the north side of the Lory Student Center and renovated more than 7,000 square feet of existing space. The new edition features Cam’s Lobby Shop – the convenience store formerly located near Subway – Bagel Place 2, offices and new headquarters for RamRide and flat screen televisions displaying weather reports, news and departure and arrival times for all bus routes.

“I think the Transit Center is awesome,” said Ashley Rouse, a junior business management major. “It’s so much newer and I like how if there’s bad weather, you have a spot to wait for your bus without standing in rain or snow.”

The $8.24 million project was built through a grant from the Federal Transit Administration, in collaboration with the city of Fort Collins and CSU. No student or university fees contributed to the renovation.

With the sustainable partnership between the city and the university, this is the first LEED – Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design – building on campus, a building that reinforces the city’s and university’s commitment to green building practices, according to officials.

“This is an environmental friendly way of handling congestion through the city of Fort Collins.” Allard said.

Other attendees at the ribbon-cutting ceremony included CSU President Larry Penley, Fort Collins Mayor Doug Hutchinson, Fort Collins City Manager Darin Atteberry, Federal Transit Administration Regional Administrator Lee Waddleton and Associated Students of CSU President Jason Green.

Staff writer Colleen Timothy can be reached at news@collegian.com