Authors: Anne Farrell Rocky Mountain Collegian

Soul Bowling” marked the close of Black Student Alliance’s (BSA) “Welcome Black Week,” which included events such as game night, African Drumming and Dancing, and both men’s and women’s chats held throughout the week.

The Sunday night event was held to get new and transfer students adjusted to campus life, said Javon Baker, a senior speech communication major and vice president of the BSA

“On a predominantly white campus it gives me to the opportunity to connect with people with the same background and also gives me the opportunity to do something positive for the community, said Brian Hays, a senior communications major, about why he became involved with the group.

The mission of the BSA is to “unite by supporting and giving back to African-American students and the surrounding community in order to further educate and empower the minds and bodies of all who honor the African American culture,” according to the group’s Web site.

According to the group’s Web site, the BSA aims to foster awareness of black culture, establish communication channels on campus, encourage the pursuit of education, and establish and engage in activities designed to unify the black community within both the CSU and Fort Collins communities.

“What I like the most about BSA is the connection we get with people who have had the same interests and experiences,” said Vanessa Nettingham, a freshman technical journalism major.

Members of the organization meet Tuesday nights at 5 p.m. in room 228 of the Lory Student Center. BSA members participate in activities through the semester and pay dues of $5 in dues each semester.

“It is an opportunity to really be involved and get things done on campus,” Baker said. BSA helps cultivate students into innovators and leaders, Baker continued.

Information about participating in the BSA can be found online at http://lamar.colostate.edu/~bsa/home.htm.

———————————-

Upcoming Events

Black Awareness Week October 16 – 20

Hip Hop Explosion November 11th

BSA Study Session December 7th