To the Editor

I read your editorial/opinion piece released in the Colorado Daily newspaper in Boulder yesterday, in which you complain about the rights and freedoms you’ve lost recently. I found myself scratching my head while reading, wondering: What rights or freedoms have you lost? Your article did not give even one example. Did any of you actually learn how to write an informed, logical article/opinion piece in college?

Trendy liberals like to complain to one another about their rights and freedom being violated, but they always fail to give real, concrete specific examples. They are just happy complaining, putting a bumper sticker on their car (wow – so unique!) and feeling good about themselves for sharing their incredibly positive message with other liberals. In their effort to be unique and different (fueled by their own insecurities and need to prove themselves) they actually come off looking like every other shallow, grasping, confused liberal. It’s actually quite comical to watch.

In America, you have more freedom and rights than you will ever have in any other country on earth. Vote. Have an abortion. Name your baby anything you want. Work anywhere you want. Live anywhere you want. Wear anything you’d like. Earn as much or as little money as you desire and spend it as you wish. These examples all relate to freedoms you would not have in many other countries, even in those European countries you believe are so much more culturally advanced than we are.

In Denmark, for example, you must choose a name for your child off of a pre-approved list provided to you by the government. In Afghanistan (before the United States-led overthrow of the Taliban) women could not vote, work or even expose their face for fear of being beaten. Try protesting for abortion rights in Saudi Arabia. I won’t hold my breath waiting to hear back from you.

The very people that complain about the government listening in on our phone calls (the only thing I can think of that you will use as an example of our rights being violated) will be the same people that complain the government did not do enough to stop the next terror attack when it happens (unless there is a liberal in office, in which case it will be blamed on the previous administration). The government is not interested in hearing you talk about your self-centered lifestyles with your friends while you eat your organic tofu and feel like you’re saving the world.

Get over yourselves, and when you write an opinion article, try and make it look like you went to college.

Shawn Mead

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I wanted to thank Robert Shipton for his response to Nick Hately’s column on our CU neighbors. It is that kind of blind intolerance of others that leads to hate crimes, racism and even homophobia.

This is supposed to be an institution that embraces diversity, yet there is hate and prejudice written up in the students’ own college newspaper.

Being a columnist, in any newspaper, brings a lot of responsibility and perhaps Mr. Hately needs to be reminded of this before he writes more narrow-minded diatribe.

Lindsay Parrie

grad student