Let them eat soap

Authors: Anne Farrell

While the winners of the Little League World Series have yet to be determined, it’s pretty f—ing clear what team left the greatest mark of the 2006 games.

In Sunday’s game between Staten Island, N.Y., and Lemont, Ill., a 12-year-old Staten Island outfielder shouted, as an attempt in inspiration, from the dugout, “We need one f—ing run.”

The ‘cheer’ was picked up by ESPN’s live microphone and resulted in an immediate slap from the team’s coach.

The mission of Little League Inc., a not-for-profit organization is to “promote, develop, supervise and voluntary assist in all lawful ways, the interest of those who will participate in Little League Baseball and Softball.”

Now technically there was nothing unlawful about Coach Nick Doscher reprimanding the foul-mouthed player by a swift slap across the face. I know that is what would have happened to me had I happened to not only curse but drop the all mighty f-bomb on national TV, had my parents been present to hear it.

What bothers me about this situation is not that the coach reprimanded the player by slapping him. Why is it that cursing has become more common from literally the mouths of babes?

If I had, heaven forbid, allowed a curse word to slip around an adult when I was 12, I would have been coughing up bubbles for a week. At the age of 20 I’m still working on cleaning up my language.

I almost feel ashamed that the “F” word has become such a part of my everyday vocabulary that, as Monty Python points out, it is considered an adjective, noun, verb, part of an adverb, part of a word and used as almost every word in a sentence.

It even occasionally slips when I’m talking in my sleep, as I was informed by my roommate.

ESPN has now decided to use a 5-second delay for the remaining game broadcasts and both Doscher and the player in question have been reprimanded by Little League Inc. for both language and behavior.

Is this lack of regard for decent language a result of the boy living in a large city or is it from a less-intensive vocabulary taught in schools? Or maybe is it that cursing has become so common place that parents no longer take the time to prevent their children being exposed to it?

Cursing is everywhere and there is no way to escape it in today’s world. Children are exposed to graphic television, offensive video games and indecent album lyrics. A curse word here and there has become commonplace in the business world, professional sports, and anywhere people become frustrated beyond conventional description.

In no way am I opposed to cursing. It feels good to vent that frustration or anger with words that are not all together politically correct. However, I am forced to question why I cannot have a conversation without at least one curse word used between all parties involved.

Have all those SAT vocabulary words disappeared from my mind? Is there no better way to describe how I am feeling? The answers to both are no. Constant cursing is simply laziness and makes you look ignorant. Why bother paying for an education if you sound like you were raised in a gutter?

So f— it, curse if you want to, but take the time to think about how bad you look.

The next child who curses on national TV might not be from South Park, or even Staten Island. They might be from Fort Collins. They might have even picked it up from you as you sat chatting on your cell phone about how “f’ing hot out it is” or how “You have way too many f’ing things to f’ing do.”

Then think about how stupid you would feel.

Anne Farrell is a junior technical journalism major. Her column appears occasionally in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.