Authors: LYNDSEY STRUTHERS The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The recent release of U.S. News and World Report’s 2007 “America’s Best Colleges” edition indicates that football rankings aren’t the only place that the gap between the University of Colorado-Boulder and CSU is significant.

The edition ranked CSU the 52nd best public university in the nation. CU tied for 34th with Virginia Tech.

When private universities were included in the mix, CSU was ranked 124th, the last spot on the list and four spots lower than the year before. CSU tied with Kansas State University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology for this slot. CU tied with Virginia Tech, St. Louis University and Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey for 77th overall, moving up one rank from last year.

“This ranking acknowledges that Colorado State competes among the finest research institutions in the country,” CSU President Larry Penley said in a press release. “Our faculty and students look beyond the borders of Fort Collins to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges, whether that is eradicating infectious diseases from the planet, researching innovative treatments for cancers or building more sustainable, environmentally friendly engines.”

According to U.S. News, the criteria used to rank colleges included academic peer assessment, graduation and retention, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving and graduation rate performances.

Even though CSU was named one of the nation’s best colleges, many CSU students believe CSU could be placed higher.

Caley Dermann, a senior English major, said that more resources should go toward improving CSU’s rank.

“Maybe they should stop fixing the Plaza and start paying more for classes,” Dermann said.

Many CSU students value the university’s academic ranking more than the school’s standing in football when being compared to CU.

“College is (more important) because football is only a small part of the college experience,” said Kalie Bozich, a junior human development and family studies major.

Kevin Strahley, a junior construction management major, says that football performance can have an affect on CSU’s academic standing, but agrees that beating CU in academic rankings is more important than how they compare in football.

“If our football team was good, we’d get more money,” said Strahley.

Several colleges within CSU were also recognized as the nation’s best. The College of Business for undergraduate studies ranked 83rd in the nation. The College of Engineering’s undergraduate program was ranked 71st.

“We’re proud of our faculty and students’ accomplishments,” said Wade Troxell, associate dean for research and economic development at the College of Engineering. “We tend to be exceptionally good, but we tend to be small, so our goal over the next five years is to grow in the number of faculty and programs and to extend our reach as a top engineering college in the U.S.”

CSU was also included in the new 2007 edition of The Princeton Review, a New York-based education services company, as one of the nation’s best institutions for undergraduate education. CSU was named one of the best Western colleges as well as one of America’s best value colleges. Only 15 percent of the nation’s four-year colleges are listed in the review.

“The learning experiences at Colorado State University allow our graduates to succeed in a highly competitive ever-changing world,” said Provost Tony Frank in a press release. “Princeton Review’s recognition of these achievements is further proof of our academic excellence.”

CU was also featured in the Princeton Review as one of the best Western colleges, America’s best value colleges and colleges with a conscience.

The company selected schools based on data the company obtained from the administrators at 361 colleges and 115,000 students attending them.

“We chose schools for this book primarily for their outstanding academics,” said Robert Franek, vice president of publishing at the Princeton Review, in a press release. “We evaluated them based on institutional data we collect about the schools, feedback from students attending them and our visits to schools over the years.”

The unveiling of this year’s best colleges follows a significant year of recognition for CSU. The College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at CSU was ranked second in the nation in U.S. News and World Report’s most recent ranking in this category. It was the only veterinary medical program in the Western states to be ranked among the top 10.

Staff writer Lyndsey Struthers can be reached at news@collegian.com.

——————————-

How CSU and CU measure up:

Best public colleges, 2007: CSU 52

CU 34

Top national universities (public and private):

Top ten: 1.Princeton University

2. Harvard University

3. Yale University

4. California Institute of Technology

4. Stanford University

4. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology

7. University of Pennsylvania

8. Duke University

9. Dartmouth College

9. Columbia University

9. University of Chicago

70. Brigham Young University

88. University of Denver

88. University of Kansas

105. Texas Christian University

120. University of Utah

124. Kansas State University

2007 CSU 124

CU 77

2006 CSU 120

CU 78

Source: U.S. News and World Report