UCC head resigns top post

Authors: Vimal Patel The Rocky Mountain Collegia

Charles Davidshofer has resigned from his post as the head of the University Counseling Center, amid allegations that he turned a blind eye to a university employee convicted of theft.

The new director, Michael Daine, is set to take over the reins Sept. 5.

Davidshofer is in “transitional retirement,” said Judy Muenchow, executive director of the Wellness Cluster, which oversees the Division of Student Affairs, Hartshorn Health Service and the UCC.

“The circumstances that led to his resignation are unfortunate,” she said. “No one wants to end a career in that fashion.”

Citing privacy concerns, she declined to discuss the details of the resignation.

“This whole thing has been blown out of proportion,” said Sharon Boyce, a Loveland resident who knew Davidshofer through a program the former director worked on. “His worst crime may have been poor management.”

A former university employee who worked in the UCC, Reva Jeanette Miles, was convicted in June of one count of felony theft and one count of misdemeanor credit card fraud.

Prosecutors accused Miles of improperly depositing university money, pocketing $17,000 in cash.

Davidshofer was accused of one count of official misconduct for allegedly allowing a culture where the impropriety festered.

Muenchow said Davidshofer resigned late last semester, and it became official June 30.

Davidshofer’s resignation was independent of the official misconduct misdemeanor charge slapped against him.

His decades-long career at the university is set to end in November. Until then, he’ll work in various capacities as a staff psychologist, including with the Learning Assistance Center and the Drugs, Alcohol & You program.

Counseling students with drug and alcohol problems is a passion of Davidshofer’s, colleagues said.

Muenchow said she wants to reassure students that their money isn’t being squandered. Extra monitoring of the counseling center’s fiscal operations was implemented, she said.

Right now, she added, the counseling center is focused on moving on.

Despite the troubles faced by Davidshofer over the last year, those who knew him heaped praise on their colleague.

“He gave his career to CSU and to the students of CSU,” said Grant Sherwood, former assistant vice president of Student Affairs. “I was sorry to see the situation unfold the way it did, but it certainly doesn’t change my perception of the work he did at the university.”

Davidshofer received the coveted Administrative Professional Employee of the Year award at CSU last year – a testament to his level of dedication, Muenchow said.

But for Boyce, her respect for Davidshofer was more personal than professional. The former director, she said, took the time to introduce his daughters to her and is dedicated to CSU students and his family.

“I think the world of him, every time I have been in his presence, I can’t explain it. He’s just a really wonderful human being,” she said. “He’s a good man.”

News managing editor Vimal Patel can be reached at news@collegian.com.

——————-

Areas of concern identified last year in an internal audit of the University Counseling Center:

1. Cash handling and receipts

2. ACARD (acquisition cards) purchases and reallocations

3. Personal phone use

4. Annual and sick leave reporting

5. Adequacy of supervisory oversight