Authors: Sara Crocker, Garrett Fitzgerald The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Children battled medieval warriors; powdered sugar lined the faces of people carrying freshly fried funnel cakes; and the B-52’s “Love Shack” echoed against the buildings that line Mountain Avenue this weekend.

The three-day NewWestFest showcased more than 300 booths, which included everything from arts and crafts to information, such as Sex Jeopardy, hosted by Planned Parenthood.

The 18th annual festival, the largest for the city, took over four blocks of the downtown area, shutting down traffic to create huge pedestrian walkways where tens of thousands pairs of feet tread, police estimated.

“This year’s NewWestFest is definitely larger and better,” said Thaine Michie, a Fort Collins resident. “I think a lot went into planning it this year.”

Carnival rides and a concert showcase with bands playing on multiple stages were scattered around Old Town.

“So far it’s been a good atmosphere, a lot of bands this year, a lot more than last year,” said Rich Page, a CSU graduate. “The bands definitely make it the place to be this year, they’ve all been good.”

Whether it was for the tunes, the food or the characters it attracts, residents old and new came out for the weekend festivities.

“We like it a lot, for our first time, that is,” said Fort Collins resident Sandy Olson. “It really is great. We’ll give it a good grade.”

Staff writers Sara Crocker and Garrett Fitzgerald can be reached at news@collegian.com.