Hughes gets new field

Jul 112006

Authors: Mike Donovan

CSU is becoming the sixth school in the Mountain West Conference to install FieldTurf in its football stadiums – joining the Air Force Academy, Brigham Young, San Diego State, Texas Christian, and Utah.

FieldTurf is an artificial turf that looks and feels like grass as opposed to the carpet of the former artificial turf of choice, AstroTurf.

Private donations are paying for the FieldTurf, with the largest donation coming from the Bohemian Foundation. The foundation donated $1.2 million for the new playing surface as well as the additions of concession stands and bathrooms. The donation, which came in April, comes on the heels of a $15.2 million donation from the foundation in 2004 for numerous stadium upgrades.

The installation started in late June and will be ready for CSU’s home opener on September 2 against Weber State.

New Locker Room

The new turf is not the only upgrade that the football team is receiving. A new football locker room inside Moby Arena will be finished in time for fall practice.

The new locker room is being paid for with money donated by former Ram and current Pittsburgh Steeler Joey Porter. Porter, who donated $200,000 for the project, believed the Rams were in need of an upgrade.

“I didn’t realize how much of this type of stuff plays into recruiting and I hope this helps,” Porter said at the time of the donation. “A lot of schools have good facilities and now Colorado State is pushing toward that.”