Authors: Grant Meech

The second ranked CSU men’s club lacrosse team continued its dominance by beating Utah and Colorado to win the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Conference Championship in Logan, Utah, Friday and Saturday.

The Rams beat their archrivals CU, 8-7 in the championship game at the Utah State University football stadium. The game was the second meeting for the schools since CSU handed CU a loss in the Rocky Mountain Showdown last week.

CSU (14-3, 5-1 RMLC) defeated Utah 14-10 on Friday to advance to the championship game, while Colorado beat BYU 10-3 to move on.

The Rams jumped out to an early lead and left CU chasing them for the majority of the game, but ultimately CSU would be too much for CU. Head coach Flip Naumburg said the Buffaloes looked like a different team than the one CSU played before.

“They didn’t play as well as they did last time,” Naumburg said. “We had some flat spots in the game and we didn’t get off a lot of shots, but they didn’t play well.”

To advance, CSU needed to beat Utah for the second time this season. The schools last met on April 9 at CSU’s home field, where the Rams won 13-3.

The semifinal match was closer than the 14-10 outcome would indicate. Both teams entered the fourth quarter tied at 7-7, until CSU’s offense opened up and scored seven fourth quarter goals.

Sophomore attackman Tyler Treece scored three of his four goals on the day in the fourth quarter. Junior attackman Danny Stevens and senior captain Pat Bird followed Treece with two goals each.

Even though the Rams defeated the Utes again, Naumburg said Utah was a different team this time around.

“They played much better; we didn’t win any face-offs and the team that usually wins the most face-offs, wins the game,” Naumburg said. “But that isn’t the case with us.”

After the win at the championship, the Rams are now preparing for the U.S. Lacrosse Intercollegiate Associates National Championship in Dallas. The team will be anxiously waiting for the final tournament seeding that comes out today.

Naumburg gave the team Monday off of practice, and he said they would have just a couple of meetings before they travel during final exams week.

“I just want to keep our conditioning up,” Naumburg said. “It’s really difficult during exams.”

The national championship will start May 9.