Macy’s comes to Colorado

Authors: Hallie Woods The Rocky Mountain Collegian

For those fans of sale racks, clearance items and weekly coupons, watch out. Macy’s is taking over Foley’s department stores.

By Sept. 9, Foley’s department stores, previously owned by the May Company, will convert to the Macy’s name as a result of a merger between Federated Department Stores Co. and the May Company.

“Macy’s emerged as a premier national retailer in March 2005 when we changed Federated’s regional department store nameplates,” said Terry J. Lundgren, Federated’s chairman, president and chief executive officer, in a press release. “We will continue that process in 2006 by converting many of May Company’s regional store nameplates to Macy’s.”

Foley’s is just one of the May Company’s owned department stores that will soon see a name change. Other changes include The Jones Store locations in Kansas and Missouri; Kaufmann’s locations in New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia; L.S. Ayres locations in Indiana; Meier & Frank locations in Oregon, Utah and Washington; and Robinsons-May locations in Arizona, California and Nevada. Lord and Taylor will not see a name change and the Marshall Fields name change is still under consideration.

“With these additions, Macy’s will operate about 730 stores, representing virtually every major U.S. market,” Lundgren said.

There are currently 12 Foley’s locations in Colorado that will undergo an identity change.

“The 13th location will open as Macy’s in October at Northfield at Stapleton,” said Janet DeVor, director of Media Relations and Communications for Macy’s West.

For some, the merger causes some concern about prices. Foley’s, famous for name brands at constant discounts and weekly newspaper coupons, will no longer exist.

Lundgren said, however, customers will be offered rewards programs that may make up for the missing Foley’s discounts.

“With additional Macy’s stores, more customers than ever will benefit from our Macy’s Star Rewards customer loyalty program, gift cards that can be used across the country and a nationwide wedding registry,” he said.

With the entrance of Macy’s, Colorado customers will soon see new brands in addition to the traditional brands already existing in Foley’s department stores.

“Macy’s is known for our exclusive private brands such as INC, Alfani,

Charter Club, Club Room and Style & Co,” DeVor said. “Macy’s also has the best national brands and designers such as Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger and Kenneth Cole.”

Regardless of the alteration, May Co. and Federated Department Stores are thrilled with the merger and the coming of Macy’s.

“Customers will benefit from having the best of both worlds – the national reach of the Macy’s brand, along with community commitment and local focus for which May Company and Federated are well known,” Lundgren said.

Hallie Woods can be reached at regional@collegian.com