Authors: James Baetke

In the hearts of numerous CSU faculty and students, this year’s 13th annual Celebrate CSU! Luncheon is more than just another lunch braced with flashbulbs, banners and food, but a moment of recognition for outstanding achievements and accomplishments.

CSU President Larry Penley presented some of the highest honors in research, service learning and excellence in teaching.

The Scholarship Impact Award, which recognizes faculty whose scholarship has had a major impact nationally or internationally, was granted to James Bamburg for his research on a protein called ADF and association with the department of biochemistry and molecular biology.

“It’s a pleasure to receive this award,” Bamburg said.

A CSU faculty member since 1971, Bamburg will receive $10,000 to aid his research.

Two professors were distinguished as Monfort Professors. Randy Bartels, electrical engineering assistant professor, and David Thompson, atmospheric science assistant professor, both received the award, which is established through a gift from the Monfort Family Foundation to help recruit and retain top-quality faculty. All eight colleges at the university were involved in the nomination and selection process for the Monfort Professors.

Bartels and Thompson will each receive $75,000 annually for two years to support innovative teaching and research. Thompson has been named in “TIME Magazine” as one of the leading innovators in science, and Bartels has received numerous national awards for his breakthrough research in the generation and control of short laser pulses and their use for the control of quantum dynamics.

“We are highly grateful for the extraordinary support the Monfort Family Foundation has provided to our institution and our faculty over many years,” Penley said.

Graduate and undergraduate students received merits as well.

Seven students with the Engineers without Borders program and nine students in a microbiology service learning capstone course were awarded the Exceptional Achievement in Service and Experimental Learning Award.

“We recognize our students are a prime reason that make this university great,” Penley said.

For a list of all the honorees, visit www.celebrate.colostate.edu

James Baetke can be reached at campus@collegian.com