Authors: Hailey McDonald

It is not hard to miss the Blue Moon Asian Bistro when driving by. It’s located in a shopping center on Prospect and Lemay avenues, and shares the same awning as about 20 other shops that surround it. But what sets Blue Moon apart is not what is on the outside, but the experience waiting inside.

Normally, I don’t like to focus on the atmosphere of restaurants. As long as they focus on the food, I am happy. However, you can’t help but be taken aback by the fun and colorful d/cor that encircles you from the entryway to the bathroom. Adorned with giant bamboo sticks, 15-foot tall vases with flowers, modern lighting and new-age music, the environment itself is enough to ensure a good time.

The restaurant offers a giant variety of Asian food. They have everything from standard Chinese dishes to not-so standard Thai entrees.

Sesame chicken and crab rangoon, a couple basic dishes that my dining partners and I ordered, exemplified quality far exceeding our expectations. For the same price as any other humdrum Asian restaurant (around $8 per dinner entr/e), we got a huge portion of food that had more meat than batter, and fresh side dishes to compliment the meal.

The Thai cuisine also sets a high standard. The Pad Thai with chicken is the best I have ever had, with the perfect amount of spices and large amounts of meat. The coconut shrimp was an excellent selection to compliment any Thai dish. Unlike other seafood-oriented dives, the appetizer was non-greasy and full of flavor.

If you want to take a walk on the wild side, try a Taste of Siam. With eggplant, shrimp, scallops, a rich sauce and vegetables galore, you will not only walk away from this meal stuffed, but with an entire box of leftovers as well.

As if there wasn’t enough to choose from on the menu, there is a full sushi bar where pretty much any piece of sushi you want can be made in front of your eyes. Adorning the see-through bar is fresh fish, seaweeds, sauces, different kinds of rice and much more.

If you have room in your stomach after your entr/e, you will be doing yourself a favor if you try a dessert. Most of them are not indigenous to Asian bistros, but the Tiramisu is a welcome taste after spicy ethnic food.

You can expect to spend from about $7 to $12 for your entr/e of choice, but know that there will be enough food for at least two meals. If you are looking to dine on a budget, try going before 3 p.m. to partake in their lunch specials, which are around $5. They have smaller portions, but they also come with soup and an egg roll.

If you are looking to quench your thirst with something more than a soda, Blue Moon has a large variety of hot and cold sake. They also have foreign and American beers, but the selection is limited. I don’t see a draft beer going well with the type of meals they offer, anyway. For non-alcoholic drinks, there are some nice teas to try and a rather delicious Thai tea, which was like nothing I have ever tasted.

Service is excellent, however there were not many people to attend to while we were at the restaurant. Everything was noticeably immaculate and we were treated like it was a much more expensive restaurant.

Blue Moon, in my opinion, is the place to go if you are craving Asian food. It is somewhat out of the way if you live around the university, but it does have a delivery service for those not wanting to travel the extra mile.

Food: A

Service: A

Atmosphere: A+

Drinks: C-