Season Over for Eagles

Authors: Jordan Duvall

The Colorado Eagles were officially eliminated from the Central Hockey League playoffs on Monday night, losing their fourth consecutive game to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs. The Eagles won the first game of the series 3-2 in overtime, but couldn’t continue the momentum in the following games.

In their defeat, Colorado lost the opportunity to repeat as league champions. The Eagles lost game two 3-2, game three 4-1, game four 2-1, and on Monday night they lost 2-1 vaulting the Bossier squad into the CHL finals. The Mudbugs will face off against the Laredo Bucks for top honors in the league.

Perhaps a sign of things to come, the Eagles struggled to even get into the second round of the playoffs, as they were forced into a game seven in their round one series with the Oklahoma City Blazers.

Now the season is over and the Eagles optimism lies in the hopes for next year. If they can keep this squad mostly in tact, they certainly have the makings of a championship-caliber team, as evidenced by their success during the regular season.

During the 2005-2006 regular season, Colorado maintained the highest of standards, finishing with a record of 44-14-6 for 94 total points. This was their second consecutive season finishing with the best record in the league. If not for an end of the season slide, in which Colorado lost three straight games, the Eagles would have finished roughly ten points ahead of anybody else in the league. Needless to say, the pieces are in place for this squad to win a championship.

Leading the eagles this season was right wing Greg Pankewicz. Leading the team in scoring with 90 points, Pankewicz finished the season in sixth place in the CHL.

In the mean time the only thing waiting for members of this year’s Colorado Eagles is an off-season with family and friends. For them, it just came sooner than expected.