Authors: Andy Weakland

As a senior here at CSU, I must say that this was one of the hardest things I have had to do. By prying myself off my lazy butt, I have decided to break my proud streak of senioritis and actually do something this semester.

As a graduate of an all-male Jesuit high school, where I was able to attend theology classes for four years, I must say that my favorite thing about our opinion section here at the Collegian is when people start quoting the bible in order to prove a point.

It is so much fun to watch people pick and choose their religious beliefs in order to prove a point. Like take for example those who quote Leviticus 18:22 or similar passages and try to claim they have broken the biblical code and proven that homosexuality is wrong.

Great work, guys! I’ve found some other stuff that I could use your advice on:

– Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

Or how about this one:

– Eventually when I grow up and have a daughter of my own, I would like to sell her into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

One more:

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

In all seriousness it is pretty redeeming when people try to quote the scripture to condemn others. It gives us a glimpse at what type of person they really are.

It makes me wonder if these people understand that the Bible itself is based off of scriptures and passages that were hand picked and chosen by religious leaders. These hand picked scriptures were then put together and labeled as “Canon,” or the “law or code of laws established by a church council.” There are many scriptures that were left out of the bible because of contradictions or inconsistencies to those scriptures that were labeled as “Canon.”

The truth is that the Bible isn’t meant to be broken down into literal passages and used as a tool of hatred to pass judgment on people. It is a glimpse at how God wants us to act, including how we should treat each other. It’s a shame to watch such idiocy take place not only here on campus, but also around the nation, and the leaders who run it.

Andy Weakland

senior

business marketing