Authors: Grant Meech

The CSU women’s golf team took sixth place at the Mountain West Conference Championship in St. George, Utah, this weekend. UNLV took home top team honors.

The Snow Canyon course at the Entrada proved difficult as no player in the field finished within five strokes of par. New Mexico’s Mikaela Backstedt and Py Bengtsson joined UNLV’s Da Sol Chung atop the individual leader board with a six-over-par 222 for three rounds.

The Rams shot three rounds of 291-302-321 to go 70-over-par for the three-day tournament. Sophomore Chelsea Benton tied for tenth with scores of 77-72-78, finishing at 11 over par.

CSU head coach Angie Hopkins was impressed with Benton’s play.

“She was even par on the first day, one of only a handful of players,” Hopkins said. “She really did play well.”

Junior Amber Ward was not far behind Benton with scores of 77-75-78 to tie for 14th. Freshman Stephanie Ferguson took 27th place, while sophomore Megan Chapman tied for 28th. Freshman Karen Wanersdorfer took 33rd.

The team played on the same course last week at the BYU Dixie Classic and played much better this time around.

“Some players struggled, but we had much better scores this time,” Hopkins said. “The course was very difficult. The finishing holes were tough and they had lava rock around them, and you couldn’t hit out of that.”

While Benton has a chance to play as an individual in the regional tournament, the season is now over for the Rams as a whole, as they will not qualify for the tournament. Even though the season is over, Hopkins said the women would play in summer tournaments like the U.S. Public Links tournament and the U.S. Women’s Amateur.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com