Authors: DREW GONZALES

CSU will have a chance for payback this Friday, when the San Diego State Aztecs come to town for an afternoon double-header. The Aztecs (23-8) won a pair of close games against the Rams (22-16) on April 9, 3-1 and 4-1, so the Rams are looking to return the favor.

“We’re definitely looking forward to another chance at them,” said junior pitcher Jessica Strickland. “We were close with them in those first games until we messed up late, and they took advantage.”

Late mistakes are a major reason for the Rams’ current seven-game losing streak. They have fallen to 3-7 in the conference, while the Aztecs are cruising through conference play at 8-0.

Despite its difficulties, Strickland says the team hasn’t been discouraged. “We’re very positive right now and we know we can pull out of this losing streak anytime,” Strickland said.

Head coach Mary Yori agrees with Strickland’s assessment.

“The team is in very good spirits,” Yori said. “They are very emotionally sound, so winning or losing doesn’t affect how they play the next game.”

If they want to end the losing streak, the Rams will need much more offensive production than they saw in the first double-header against SDSU. But with a team ERA of 1.84, the Aztecs have made it hard to cross the plate for a lot of teams.

Strickland hopes a week of competitive practice will turn things around.

“We’ve been doing a lot of hitting drills and competing against each other in practice to create game situations,” Strickland said.

While San Diego State sits atop the Mountain West Conference, CSU’s other opponent this weekend, UNLV, dwells in the basement. The Rebels have a record of 17-30 heading into the weekend, with a conference record of 2-8. CSU took on UNLV two weeks ago in Las Vegas, where the teams split a double-header.

The opening pitch of Friday’s double-header against SDSU will be at 1 p.m. on Ram Field. Sunday’s double-header will get underway at noon.