Arm yourself with knowledge

We’ve all heard the statistics:

“One out of every four women will be raped or sexually assaulted during her lifetime.” “A woman is battered every 16 seconds.” “Thirteen percent of women are stalked on college campuses.”

Whether we want to accept it or not, these statistics reflect reality. Not only that, but they are an under-representation of reality, as a large proportion of rapes and abuses go unreported.

These statistics and unreported incidents are reflective of real assaulters and real women. These women are no different from you or me; they are our classmates, our sisters, our mothers, and our best friends. And these assaulters are often our partners, friends, and relatives.

As a person who is simply genuinely concerned with the safety and well being of all people, I would like to take this opportunity to advise you all: please, do not let yourself, or someone who you love, become another statistic or another case of unreported sexual abuse.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Ignorance to the truth about violence against women is not an option. Know the facts, and arm yourself with knowledge.

How, you ask?

Monday, April 24 kicks off a week-long schedule of events known as “Take Back the Night,” which is a series of events and programs designed to aid women in finding their inner strength and taking back their voice.

The events of Take Back the Night are being offered to everyone, as guidance to help protect you, and as support for those who have been hurt. Join us, and together we can help to put a stop to violence against women.

For more information please go http://lamar.colostate.edu/~campfem or call 566-0736.

Thank you.

Karissa Ciarlelli

junior

technical journalism