The tragedy in Uganda

First of all, I want to applaud the Collegian for running an article about the crisis in Uganda, and the Invisible Children movement. Yet, this movement still needs more support. On April 29, there is an opportunity to help put an end to a tragedy.

There will be a Global Night Commute across the nation to raise awareness of a crisis. I would like to give a little background information on this tragedy for those who might have missed the articles.

This aforementioned crisis is one that involves violence and young children. Children are being kidnapped from their homes and forced into military combat. They are forced to kill, and those who do not are killed themselves. At young ages they have to witness the death of their friends, and of others. This atrocity is occurring in Uganda.

It is estimated that 20,000 to 50,000 children are being abducted to fight as soldiers. Tens of thousands of children are commuting nightly away from their homes and sleeping in packed quarters with other children to minimize their chance at being abducted.

One hundred and thirty people die every day in Northern Uganda due to violence.

The Global Night Commute is designed to raise awareness of this tragedy. People from all ages and backgrounds are signed up to commute to a designated place and sleep in areas other than their home. This is in an effort to make our government take a stand and put an end to this violence. Dedicating this one night could alert the community, state, and country about what children in Uganda have go to through daily.

As of Tuesday, 19,826 people are signed up and committed in 130 cities across the nation. Fort Collins has 207 people signed up whereas Boulder only has 36. I would like to ask students to tell their Boulder friends about this movement, and to join the Global Night Commute. Though Fort Collins does have a good number signed up, there can always be more. Please visit invisiblechildren.com if you care for further information, or if you care to sign up for the Global Night Commute.

Jose Alejandro Rosales

junior

history and journalism