Track Competes in Arizona

Authors: DREW GONZALES

While a cold wind relentlessly blew across the plains of Colorado all day Saturday, CSU track and field athletes were competing under the hot Arizona sun at the 27th annual Sun Angel Classic.

Major athletic conferences were also represented in the meet hosted by Arizona State. Representing the Big Ten was the University of Michigan; from the Big 12, Colorado and Kansas State; Auburn made it all the way from Alabama to represent the SEC, while ASU and UCLA were there from the PAC-10.

CSU held its own against the tough national competition, recording several top-10 finishes in both field and running events. Junior Rob Watson earned the Rams only victory when he won the 5,000-meters. Sophomore April Thomas was also successful in the 5,000-meters, taking second place on the women’s side.

In the discus throw, CSU men and women continued to compete at a very high level. Seniors Katie Hansen and Jill McCormick finished fourth and seventh respectively, while the men recorded four top-10 finishes on their side.

Earlier in the week, five Rams were competing in multi-events in California. Junior Kevin Johnson was in second place after the first day of events, but came from behind to take first place in the California Invitational Decathlon.

Three Rams finished in the top 10 of the women’s California Invitational Heptathlon, and junior Katie Lloyd finished fourth in the women’s Mt. SAC Relays Heptathlon.

CSU will host its final home meet of the year Saturday when they host the Jack Christiansen Invitational.

Drew Gonzales can be reached at sports@collegian.com.