Authors: DREW GONZALES

CSU track and field signed three more athletes to national letters of intent on Thursday. All three come from Colorado.

Ryan Friese comes out of Rampart High School in Colorado Springs where he competed in the 400-meters and the triple jump. Friese will join his Rampart teammate and incoming freshman JD Snell, whom the Rams secured in November.

Another signing, Tanesha Johnson, is from Eaglecrest High School in Aurora. Johnson joins three former Eaglecrest Raptors already on the team.

In a CSU press release, assistant coach Tim Cawley commented on the new additions.

“Both Ryan and Tanesha are not only great athletes, but also phenomenal students,” Cawley said. “I believe both will make an immediate impact to the program.”

Leslie Peterson of Avon was the third athlete secured Thursday. Peterson ran the 400-meters at Battle Mountain High School, but will likely run hurdles at CSU. Assistant coach John Carter expounded on her talents.

“She has great athleticism and being a multi-sport athlete, should be able to handle life at the college level,” Carter said.

CSU’s current track and field team is split up again this week, with five athletes competing in California and the rest heading to Arizona. The nation’s top decathletes and heptathletes gathered in Azusa, Calif., where Azusa Pacific University will host two different track meets.

Athletes from schools like UCLA, Hawaii, Michigan and the Air Force Academy competed in the meet. Five Rams made the trip to California, where they met varying degrees of success.

After the first round of events, CSU junior Kevin Johnson sat in second place of the California Invitational Decathlon with 3,669 points, just 139 off the leader’s pace.

In the Mount SAC relays heptathlon, junior Katie Lloyd was the Rams’ lone representative. Through the meet’s first day of events, Lloyd had the fourth highest score overall, but was second among collegiate athletes.

In the California Invitational Heptathlon, CSU had a trio of sophomores in the top 20 after the first day. Emily Pearson had the highest score among the Rams, good for sixth place. Ashleigh Morton and Tonya Cure were in 12th and 18th place, respectively, after Thursday’s opening events.

Drew Gonzalez can be reached at sports@collegian.com