Authors: Collegian Staff

The Denver Press Club awarded the Collegian editor in chief the prestigious Damon Runyon award last week and presented a new scholarship to a staff photographer.

JP Eichmiller received the award for an outstanding body of journalistic work, including coverage of a deadly apartment fire in the summer 2005. Eichmiller is also set to spend the summer as an intern for the Denver Post.

“The most exciting part of the awards Ryan and I received is the recognition it gives to the Rocky Mountain Collegian and CSU,” Eichmiller said. “The 2005-06 school year has seen unprecedented accolades for the Collegian for design, photography and writing.”

Photographer Ryan Maier received an inaugural $500 scholarship toward his tuition from the Denver Press Club and the American Society of Media Photographers, along with a free membership in the press club.

“It felt great to receive such a prestigious award,” Maier said. “The most important thing to me was the opportunities the award provides. It will be nice to be able to spend time with the true professionals at the Denver Press Club.”

Eichmiller started his journalistic career as a Collegian columnist in fall 2004. He has been editor in chief since summer 2005 and worked at the Fort Collins Coloradoan over winter break.

Maier has shot photographs for the Collegian for more than a year.

The student-run newspaper has received numerous other prizes this year, including a first-place Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Circle Award for best newspaper design and William Randolph Hearst awards for writing.