Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

Things look good for the women’s lacrosse team after trouncing two of the top club teams in the country over the weekend at home.

“It’s good to have the best out here,” said sophomore attacker Lindsay Brown. “And it helps to be at home.”

Sunday morning the Rams took on the No. 6 UC Santa Barbara Gauchos. Capping their weekend off in style, the Rams improved to 17-1 on the season by beating UCSB 11-4.

A Saturday afternoon match against No. 15 Virginia was 11-0 at the half, allowing a couple of starters to rest in the second half, as the Rams ran to an 18-4 victory.

Saturday morning’s game was a rematch against No. 1 Cal Poly, who handed the Rams their only loss of the year in February.

“We came into it with confidence,” Brown said. “We knew we could beat them from the opening draw.”

In a tight-played game, it was the Rams who walked off the field happy, winning 8-7 and handing Cal Poly their first loss of the season.

“It was one of the more intense games I’ve ever played in,” said freshman defender Lisa Long. “Everything seems to be working well for us right now”

The No. 2 Rams opened the weekend on Friday night with a contest against No. 3 Michigan. Senior Kate Sebesta notched a six-goal effort in the 9-6 victory for CSU. Sebesta scored 12 goals over the weekend to lead all scorers for the Rams, recording a goal in all four games.

“She played amazing,” said senior Jen Gunlikson. “Everybody played well, but she played amazing.”

CSU will play host to CU at 7:30 p.m. Friday. It will be the last game for the Rams before the league championships April 22.

“I’d say this (weekend) helps a little for our positioning for nationals,” Long said.

Aaron Schoonmaker can be reached at sports@collegian.com