Authors: Grant Meech

The CSU men’s golf team traveled to sunny Phoenix, Ariz., Friday for the Thunderbird Invitational hosted by Arizona State University at Kartsen Golf Course. The Rams finished ninth place at the tournament as the University of Arizona took top honors.

The Rams shot 283-297-283 to finish at 11 over par. Freshman Zen Brown shot two rounds over par and a final round of 69 to finish tied for 32nd. Junior Derrick Whiting finished tied for 37th and senior Nate Pettitt finished tied for 44th. Junior Aaron Weston finished tied for 50th to round out the individual scores.

Senior Kevin McAlpine played the first and third rounds in the tournament but had to withdraw in the second round. He did not place.

Despite the final placing, head coach Jamie Bermel said he was pleased with his team’s performance.

“We played pretty solid,” Bermel said. “We beat some teams that are top 25, so it was a solid performance.”

Bermal was impressed with the great shape the Kartsen Golf Course was in for the tournament. The weather was perfect for golf and the rough on the course was thick but definitely good for some low scores.

The men take off to Provo, Utah, later this week to compete in the Cougar Classic, hosted by BYU.

“We are only home for a couple days this week, so we need to fine tune some things,” Bermel said. “This a big tournament for us.”

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com.