Softball team heads west

Authors: DREW GONZALES

After sweeping the University of New Mexico to open their conference schedule, CSU softball will stay on the road this weekend with a pair of double headers against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLV) and San Diego State University (SDSU).

“It’s hard having to play so many road games so close to each other, so it’s nice that this is our last road trip for a while,” Yori said.

The Rams will be in Las Vegas on Friday to take on a young UNLV squad, which only has 3 seniors. The Rebels have struggled all season long and are currently 15-26. They have not won a road game this season, but are pretty tough at home with an 11-8 record in Sin City.

The competition will get much tougher for CSU on Sunday, when they will be in Southern California taking on SDSU. The Aztecs are 17-8 for the year, and much of their success has come from pitching, with a team ERA of 1.88.

SDSU features a pair of talented underclassmen pitchers. Sophomore Christina Ross was recently named Mountain West Conference Pitcher of the Week, and owns an ERA of 1.04. Ross is complemented by freshman Melissa Owens, who hasn’t lost a game this season thanks to her ERA of 1.12.

Heading into Friday’s doubleheader, the Rams are 21-9, and lead the Mountain West Conference in several areas. The Rams are first in slugging percentage, home runs, stolen bases, fielding percentage and, most importantly, wins.

On top of CSU’s success as a team, junior Jessica Strickland leads the Mountain West in many important offensive categories. She is first in slugging percentage, runs scored and hits, and is second in the conference in batting average and home runs. Aside from her offensive production, Strickland has nine wins as a pitcher this season.