Authors: AARON SCHOONMAKER The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The CSU women’s lacrosse team is the No. 2 ranked club team in the country for a reason: they don’t lose.

The Rams took their 9-1 record into Annapolis, Md., last weekend where they played in the “Shootout on the Severn” hosted by Navy.

“Our team came out solid in every game to prove that we deserve our number two ranking,” said senior Jen Gunlikson. “This is the best team I’ve ever played with.”

All four teams the Rams played in the tournament were also nationally ranked.

On Saturday, CSU handled No. 8 Pittsburg 15-5, then No. 15 Maryland 9-4.

“When our opponents try to face-guard and stop a scorer, it only opens up five other players who are just as much of a threat,” Gunlikson said. “The defense is so difficult to break that if a player is lucky enough to do that our goalie, Brooke Lewis, is just another wall they have to get through.”

Staying hot on Sunday, the Rams took down No. 12 Santa Clara 15-4 and No. 10 Navy 11-8.

“There were lots of goals and some very key defensive players,” Gunlikson said.

With the wins over the weekend, the Rams improved to 13-1, and will bring that record to the field against the best in the nation this weekend when they host the Rocky Mountain Shootout.

“We really want a lot of fans because it’s said to be the best tournament in the nation,” Gunlikson said.

A much-anticipated rematch against No. 1 Cal Poly will come at 10 a.m. on Saturday.

The Rams’ only loss was to Cal Poly in February in the first tournament of the season. The other teams that will be in town are Michigan (CSU’s opponent Friday at 7:30 p.m.) and CU. The Rams will also play No. 15 Virginia at 2:15 p.m. on Saturday and No. 6 UC Santa Barbara at 8 a.m. on Sunday.

Aaron Schoonmaker can be reached at sports@collegian.com