Authors: AARON SCHOONMAKER The Rocky Mountain Collegian

To win a game, you need to play all nine innings. For the baseball team on Tuesday it was a failure to close the game that sent them home disappointed.

“We let up about the sixth inning,” said sophomore right fielder Nick Stringari. “We just couldn’t finish the game.”

The Rams got five strong innings from starting pitcher senior Troy Tolar, who departed with a 5-2 lead. But CSU squandered a bases-loaded chance with only one out in the sixth after David Schultz and Austin Tillack both struck out, ending the inning. “The difference was pitching today,” said Stringari, who came in as a pinch runner and then went to right field in the seventh inning. “Troy gave us five, but the bullpen was just off today. Their bullpen threw well and kept us off-balance.”

The CSU bullpen allowed nine runs in four innings, including a five-run seventh, as the lead disappeared. Trailing 11-5 in the bottom of the ninth, freshman Reggi Rossi hit an RBI single. But that’s as close as the Rams would get, falling to Western Nebraska Community College 11-6.

The Rams, 14-4 (7-1), will now focus on conference play as they host Northern Colorado (10-4) this weekend. Four games against the Bears (doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday, each starting at noon) could all but clinch the conference. All the games will be at Ram Field.