Authors: Ryan Skeels

If you’re even half as big of an animated film fan as me, you too have no doubt gone to bed every night since 2002 praying for another “Ice Age” flick to come out of the shoot. If this weekend prayer-answering release of “Ice Age: The Meltdown” isn’t a sign of a higher force at work, then maybe there really isn’t one.

The original gang of three from the first, Manny the Mammoth, Sid the Sloth and Diego the Saber-toothed Tiger, bless the screen once again, this time with a totally different agenda.

The movie opens with the onset of global warming and the meltdown of the ice caps, which is apparently where the crew lives. It seems no one’s too bummed about the recent heat, though, as the seemingly hundreds of different animals have fashioned a water park that makes Waterworld look like a kitchen sink. The fun is done soon enough though as a gunslingin’ vulture warns the multi-faceted herd that its valley will soon become a flooded fishbowl of death. Now the race is on, errors, the slow-moving migration of mammoth and friends in an attempt to reach an Arc-like log-boat before the water spans a massive extinction.

The animation is of course just absolutely frickin’ phenomenal. The animators are so insanely good at making the scenes look realistic while still maintaining the cartoon look and feel. The water and the animal fur were definitely the highlights, especially once they all start to get drenched.

Ray Romano, John Leguizamo and Dennis Leary once again lend their voices to the critters, this time with Queen Latifah getting added to the mix as Ellie the messed up Mammoth who thinks she’s really a possum. That whole possum mistaken identity bit does drag on a bit long, but in the end turns out to be just really darn cute…or something. For those of you wondering if Scrat the squirrel ever gets his mitts on that damn acorn, you’ll definitely have to tune into this sequel; the segments of him on the hunt are sure to be your favorites.

Animation lover, movie lovers, comedy lovers and just overall fans of fun times, good laughs and heart-warming moments should not let “Ice Age: The Meltdown” pass you by. Just an overall great flick.

4 out of 5 ramheads