Authors: Grant Meech

The CSU women’s lacrosse team traveled to Provo, Utah, over the weekend to battle their bordering state foes, Weber State, Utah and BYU. The three teams didn’t stand a chance as the CSU women swept the competition.

Friday the Rams (8-1) took a tight 14-10 game from the Cougars. It was the only challenge the team would see during the three-day tournament.

Kate Sebesta led the Rams with four goals while Lisa Long added another three. Lindsay Brown also tallied two goals.

Head coach Jaime Whitlock said BYU is a tough team, but they don’t see a lot of competition.

“BYU is our only challenge on the trip. They don’t really have anybody to challenge them in their state,” Whitlock said.

On Saturday the women crushed the Weber State Wildcats 21-0. Sixteen different Rams scored against a Weber State team that included players, according to Whitlock, who had never played before.

“It was a real challenge for them. The score was 18-0 at halftime and the JV got a lot of playing time,” said Whitlock. “But they had a great attitude during the game.”

Every Ram who saw the field in the contest scored at least one goal. Long and Aryan Cadorna led the way with three goals each.

Goalie Brooke Lewis recorded three saves in the route. At halftime, Whitlock took Lewis out and put in backup Heather Hau. According to Whitlock, Hau had never played lacrosse before this fall. She recorded three saves to secure the shutout.

The Rams closed out the weekend with another route, running over the Utah Utes by a final score of 25-4.

Whitlock was a little upset with the Utah team.

“They didn’t have anyone show up for warm-ups and they didn’t really have a full team,” he said. “It was a little irritating considering we stuck around for another day to play them.”

Twelve different Rams scored at least one goal against the Utes. Long continued to be the main offensive threat, finding the back of the net five times against the Ute defense. Brown and Cadorna followed close behind with three goals each. Lewis, who was unchallenged for the majority of the tournament, recorded three saves.

Friday, the women travel to the East Coast to play in the Navy Tournament in Annapolis, Md. The Rams will face off against the University of Florida, Santa Clara, University of Delaware and Navy.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com