‘V for Vendetta’

Authors: Ryan Skeels

In yet another attempt to spare the movie-watching readers of the Collegian the agony of reading about how terrible the latest horrid horror flick “Stay Alive” is, I instead chose to attend the much talked about and politically charged flick “V for Vendetta.” Not only was this one of the best decisions I’ve ever made and an amazing movie, it was followed by a night in Denver that reflected the issues presented in the movie in an eerily ironic way.

In the spirit of all the classic future-society novels like “Brave New World” and “Fahrenheit 451,” “V for Vendetta” portrays a totalitarian Great Britain run by a fascist like none other. On her way across town after curfew, Natalie Portman’s character Evey is stopped by the secret police, interrogated and harassed. Just before the three of them rape the innocent Evey, a mysterious masked man known as V sticks his neck out and serves the crooked cops a bit of their own medicine.

Alarmingly confident and intriguingly witty, V spawns a revolution of the people by blowing up two London landmarks, taking over the Big Brother-esque airwaves and urging citizens to rise up and take back their freedom. As more of V’s past is revealed to Evey, the two become awkward allies and bring true justice to the oppressors that be.

Having not seen many previews for this and hearing that the story comes from a graphic novel, I was half-expecting the graphic madness that “Sin City” offered. Much to my surprise, however, there was no more CGI in this film than the average shoot-’em up action flick of today. V is just a knife-wielding badass with a chip on his shoulder and a serious knack for deception and trickery, not to mention exceptional domino skills. His motivation for the overthrow of The Man is no simple matter, though it has been on the tip of his tongue since birth.

If you find yourself more on the conservative side and have heard this is merely a piece of liberal propaganda and nothing more, it’s high time to check yourself in to the theater. The acting is phenomenal, the dialogue is amazingly intense, and the plot keeps building up to a fantastically inspirational ending. You should definitely check it out.