Authors: DREW GONZALES

CSU’s track team had no trouble securing a team victory for the men and women in the Robert Upton Invitational on Saturday.

The women’s team tallied 292 points while its nearest competitors could only manage 106. The men were just as impressive, compiling 288 points, 211 points more than the runner-up UNC Bears.

The Rams dominated the meet from start to finish. CSU athletes won 22 of the meet’s 40 events, while all but six of the events saw a Ram finish in the top three.

Early in the meet, returning All-American junior Magnus Lohse shattered his own school record in the shot put by more than a meter. Several other CSU throwers also were successful.

Junior Trey Eder and senior Nate Heyrman completed the sweep of the shot put, following Lohse to finish second and third, respectively. Seniors Katie Hansen and Jill McCormick took the top two spots in the discus throw.

Junior Justin Hazard ran and jumped his way to victory in the 110 and 400-meter hurdles. Junior Drew Morano also won two events, the 200 and 400-meter sprints.

Young Rams also contributed to Saturday’s season-opening win. Freshman sprinter Jessica Bruha was victorious in the 100-meter sprint while sophomore Emily Pearson took first in the 200-meter sprint.

CSU’s season continues Thursday when they host the Glen Morris Multi Events meet. Some Rams will travel to UNC or Stanford University to compete.

Drew Gonzales can be reached at sports@collegian.com.