Authors: Elena Ulyanova

If elected, the main goal of Jessica Lynn Dyrdahl and Brett Dobinsky, candidates for president and vice president of the Associated Students of CSU, is to make student government more easily accessible to students.

Dyrdahl, a senior political science and Spanish major from Fargo, N.D., and candidate for ASCSU president, emphasizes the importance of time management because she enjoys being involved and finds herself in this very situation.

Currently, Dyrdahl is involved in the honors program, the president leadership program, the Lory Student Center Governing Board, student fee review board and Gamma Phi Beta. She is also a student ambassador and orientation leader.

“I’m used to being on campus all day,” Dyrdahl said. “I cannot sit still for a long time; I always need to be doing something, and although I do like to be busy, it is also important to take time for yourself and other people.”

In addition to her love for involvement, she studied abroad in Spain and plans on joining the Peace Corps after graduation.

Raised in Texas and Fort Collins, Dobinsky, junior civil engineering major, is one of the vice presidential candidates. Currently, he is the director of student services at ASCSU and president of his fraternity Beta Theta Pi.

Dyrdahl and Dobinsky plan, if elected, to focus on making ASCSU more accessible to students. This includes once-a-week Plaza-side chats during a time when many students are in that area. During this time, students would be able to speak with them about any questions and concerns they may have.

Dyrdahl said college students need an extra push to get involved, and many students don’t go into the ASCSU office to seek information. The Plaza-side chats could be used to inform students of various events and resources so that they are better aware of opportunities to get involved.

“If we are going to be representing the students, students shouldn’t be scared to come talk to us,” Dyrdahl said.

The team also hopes to increase Ram pride through a possible Ram fan group that would promote activities such as university sports, club sports and the arts. Another possible addition that the team would like to try is having a freshmen orientation class that teaches students about different traditions, programs and other information about CSU that could possibly increase student involvement.

Improving the student-alumni connection through career connections for students is another change the team would like to see. Dyrdahl said that rather than just having the alumni “get students jobs,” they would work with the Alumni Association to create a database of graduates who could be mentors for students, discussing careers in order to help with job decisions.

Additionally, the team would like to increase community and student relations. This would consist of having more representation at community meetings and by including the community in a special green and gold day.

Elena Ulyanova can be reached at campus@collegian.com