Authors: By Grant Meech

The snowy weather of Colorado couldn’t slow the men’s lacrosse team as the No. 2 Rams defeated the Missouri Tigers, 14-5, Monday in Denver.

The game was originally scheduled for Fort Collins but was moved to Denver due to inclement weather, where the two teams played at an indoor facility.

Junior captain Pat Bird led the scoring frenzy with three goals and two assists, while offensive standouts, sophomore Tyler Treece and junior Danny Stevens had two goals each. Seven other Rams scored at least one goal against the Tiger defense.

Senior goalie Pete Jokisch recorded four saves in the first half before he was taken out. The Missouri game proved to be a good chance to get some playing time for the four active goalies.

Missouri played tough said head coach Flip Naumberg, but they still didn’t stand a chance. “They were OK, not great,” said Naumberg. “After a while we were able to do whatever we wanted.”

Despite the convincing win, the Rams struggled in the fourth quarter, according to Naumberg. He said the sluggish play was from the men’s lack of energy. Missouri put up two goals late in the game, but the outcome had already been decided.

“We had nice overall play,” Naumberg said. “Except for a weak fourth quarter.”

Next up for the second ranked team in the country is Utah State Friday at 7 p.m. Even though the game in Denver was technically a home game for the Rams, this Friday marks the first “real” home game for the team. The match will be played on the CSU recreational fields on campus.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com