Authors: By Grant Meech

After 11 grueling days on the road and a tournament in San Diego, the men’s golf team found themselves at the Ron Moore Invitational in Goodyear, Ariz. The team left with a fifth-place finish at the Palm Valley Golf Course. The University of Louisville took home the team title.

Head coach Jamie Bermel said the team played OK, but could have done better. “I’m a little disappointed in the placing,” Bermel said. “I thought we played well, but we had some mental mistakes.”

Senior Nate Pettitt led the team with round scores of 69-67-69 to shoot 11 under par and finish at sixth place. Bermel was pleased with Pettitt’s performance.

“Nate had a good, solid tournament,” Bermel said. “He played the ball real well. He put the ball in the fairway, put the ball on the green and he made some puts.”

Juniors Aaron Weston and Derrick Whiting shot two under par to finish tied for 22nd. Freshman Zen Brown shot even to finish tied for 34th, while senior Kevin McAlpine shot four-over-par, placing him at 57th.

Mountain West Conference foes Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico and Air Force competed in the tournament. CSU placed above all of them. Bermel said the tournament was a good indication of how they stand in the conference.

The men have the rest of the week off. The team travels back to Arizona to compete in the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on April 8.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com