Authors: Grant Meech

It was a busy Spring Break for the CSU men’s lacrosse team as they returned to Northern California for the second time this season. The Rams played the Stanford Cardinals, Div. II Notre Dame and No. 1 Sonoma State University on the four-day trip.

The biggest game for the No. 2 Rams was against No. 1 Sonoma State at Rohnert Park, Calif. CSU edged Sonoma State 11-10 in an overtime thriller.

The Seawolves of Sonoma State trailed the Rams all day, said head coach Flip Naumberg, until tying the Rams late in the game. The winning goal came from Aurora native sophomore Ryan MacDonald.

Coach Naumberg was pleased with the win.

“It’s nice to get that one goal early in overtime,” Naumberg said. “We felt really good about the win.”

Senior captain goalie Pete Jokisch recorded 11 saves, and sophomore attacker Tyler Treece scored four times against Sonoma State. Seven different players scored at least one in the thriller, including juniors Danny Stevens and Pat Bird.

Despite the promising start, the men couldn’t stay perfect the whole trip. On Monday, CSU fell to Notre Dame 12-8 in Novato, Calif.

“Notre Dame is a really good team,” Naumberg said. “We would have had to play really good to beat them.”

While Notre Dame was able to down the Rams, Stanford didn’t stand a chance against the high-powered CSU offense. Eleven different Rams scored against Stanford. Treece hit the back of the net three times and Stevens scored twice.

“Danny (Stevens) can really create for us, and Tyler (Treece) can really finish,” said Naumberg about his two offensive stars.

Stanford only scored three goals against Jokisch and the strong CSU defense.

Next up for the No. 2 Rams is the University of Missouri Tigers, Monday at noon in Denver.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com.