Authors: DREW GONZALES

Senior Jill McCormick earned All-American honors after finishing ninth in the weight throw at last week’s NCAA indoor track and field championships. McCormick is the Mountain West Conference champion and was ranked among the nation’s elite all season.

Also honored in Arkansas was head coach Del Hessel, who was named regional coach of the year after leading the CSU women’s indoor track team to their first-ever MWC Championships last month.

Hessel’s team made a strong statement all season and it showed. Twenty-three Rams were named to the All-Conference team.

CSU’s other representative in Fayetteville, Ark. was junior MWC champion long jumper Janay DeLoach. Although she did not qualify in her stronger event, falling short in the long jump, DeLoach qualified for and finished 14th in the 60-meter dash.

As for the future of the track program, the Rams have already signed a number of athletes to replace those graduating. From Colorado are CSU signed decathlete Doug Dieker from Parker, sprinter Brittany Stephens from Denver and pole-vaulter JD Snell from Colorado Springs.

Coming to Fort Collins from out of state are sprinter Cole Tucker from Rapid City, S.D., and Cameron Carter from Lakewood, Calif., will throw the discus for the Rams.

The Rams look to build off their successful indoor season when they compete in the first outdoor meet of the season in just a few weeks. On Saturday, CSU will host their first meet of the year in the Robert Upton Invitational.

Drew Gonzales can be reached at sports@collegian.com.