Fort Collins, CO – The air at The Rocky Mountain Collegian is thick with excitement today, as the student-run newspaper celebrates winning The Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s 23rd Gold Circle Award in the category of overall design. This is the first award for overall design won in the history of the Collegian.

The Columbia Gold Circle Award is considered to be a big step for the Collegian. Besting student newspapers from worthy competitors such as Ball State and the Santa Ana College puts the Collegian in a more competitive, well-recognized league.

Jenny Fischer, Production Manager for the Collegian, said of the award, “this win is a fairly high-profile accolade for the Collegian, and brings more credence to not only the designers who work on the newspaper, but the quality of the Collegian as an organization.”

This is the first design award given to the organization in the 2005-2006 year, and the first design award received after the paper was given a design “makeover” during the summer of 2005. Previous design awards include recognition in 2000 for the entertainment section and a 2004 award commending the design efforts of a 9-11 themed spread.

The award named Katie Dzintars, Associate Managing Editor for Design and Entertainment, and Hailey McDonald, Assistant Design Editor, as the winners in this category. Managing Editor Erin Skarda was on hand in New York to receive the award, as well as four others won in photography and advertising.

For more information, contact J.P. Eichmiller, The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editor and Chief, at (970) 491-1688 or e-mail at editor@collegian.com