Authors: Sarah Mast

Every year, the Hugh Shields Award is given to the top 10 chapters of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity. This year, the CSU chapter claimed rights to the award.

"This recognition is well deserved," said Mark Koepsell, director of Greek Life.

Koepsell said this is the first time the CSU chapter, Epsilon Omicron, has won the prestigious award.

The Hugh Shields Award, established in 1965 and named after the first executive vice president of the fraternity, is the most prestigious award given to Delta Tau Delta chapters. It recognizes excellence in the areas of recruitment, academics, philanthropy, community service and chapter management.

"This is an all-time high for the CSU Delts," said Paul Travis, sophomore biology major and vice president of the CSU chapter. "All of our hard work has finally paid off."

Each member of the house is involved in at least one other school organization or club, giving them leadership opportunities outside of the fraternity.

The CSU chapter also participates in the Adopt-a-Highway program one Saturday per month, volunteers help elementary students for a few hours each week, and members also take part in RamRide. Every April, the chapter holds the Drew Grant Golf Tournament to raise money for the Larimer County Suicide Prevention Center.

Delta Tau Delta, which started in 1858 at Bethany College, was founded on the principles of truth, courage, faith and power.

The group has 116 chapters in North America and has more than 6,000 undergraduate students and 117,000 living alumni.

The top 10 chapters are awarded with the purple and gold Hugh Shields Flag. The flag looks similar to the Delta Tau Delta flag but is emblazoned with the Greek word "protimoi," which signifies "first among equals."

The CSU chapter president, Erich Rettinger, said he is proud of all of the members for accomplishing what they have this past year.

"This is an exciting time for us all," said Rettinger, a junior finance and real estate major. "I am proud of all the members and thankful for the time and effort that was put forth this last year."

Chapter members hope their efforts can carry them to be just as successful in the years to come.

"I hope to continue in this path of excellence," Rettinger said.

Sarah Mast can be reached at campus@collegian.com.