Authors: James Baetke

Parts of Morgan Library were put off-limits Tuesday when shards of the roof fell into the center courtyard from gusty winds, putting students and staff at risk.

"The airflow got underneath the roof and began to lift the membrane of the roof," said George Jaramillo, assistant dean of Morgan Library.

Jaramillo said staff from facilities management discovered the roofing problem and ordered sections of the first, second and third floor to be sectioned off with tape at about 8:45 a.m.

Cpl. Yvonne Paez, spokeswoman for the CSU Police Department, said officers were out at 9:15 a.m. between the Clark Building and Morgan Library instructing passersby to go around the area while workers secured the loose roof.

Paez said officers were there for 30 to 40 minutes and saw no roof remnants hit the ground.

Areas of the first floor were sectioned off to keep people out of the courtyard and subsequent floors were cornered off in fear pieces of the roof would crash through the library's glass structures, Jaramillo said.

"During the last wind, part of the roof ripped," Jaramillo said.

Between the last batch of winds and Tuesday's gusts, the roof was being repaired but the work was not yet completed, he said.

An independent roofing contractor was called in Tuesday to complete emergency repairs. All areas were reopened Tuesday afternoon.