Authors: Paul Baker

Sophomore Jason Smith was one of two Rams to be honored this year by the Mountain West Conference as he garnered a first team all-conference selection Monday afternoon.

Smith, the youngest athlete to be honored, averaged 16.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game this season. Smith shot 52 percent from the field and a respectable 79.1 percent from the free throw line. He also ranked second in the conference in blocks with 2.17 per game.

This is the second MWC award Smith has won; last year he was named Freshman of the Year.

The other Ram to be honored by the MWC was junior transfer Michael Harrison, as he was an honorable mention. In his first season as a Ram, he averaged 12.0 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. Harrison led the league in field goal percentage shooting 62.5 percent and was third in the league in blocks per game with 2.07.

This year's conference Player of the Year went to San Diego State junior guard Brandon Heath. He was the only player to score in double figures in every conference game this season. Heath leads the league with 19.5 points per game. He also led the MWC with 54 3-pointers in conference games (3.38 per game). Heath is the only player to be named Mountain West Conference Player of the Week three times this season and was a first-team NABC all-District 13 selection along with teammate Marcus Slaughter.

Freshman forward Trent Plaisted of BYU was named Freshman of the Year. He led all freshmen with eight rebounds per game and was name National Freshman of the Year three times.

BYU coach Dave Rose was named MWC Coach of the Year. In his first year as the Cougars' coach, he led the team to a 20-win season and a second place finish in conference.

First Team All-MWC

Brandon Heath G San Diego State

Marcus Slaughter F San Diego State

Antoine Hood G Air Force

Mark Walters G New Mexico

Jason Smith F Colorado State