To the Editor:

I am responding to your suggestion to "take the chance to learn about something that is so important to so many people in our global community" that was printed Wednesday.

Would you, I wonder, suggest the same thing of the largest (rather than second largest) religion in the world, Christianity? Would you ever publish a piece that encourages students to go to a local church or to read the Bible in order to educate and thereby overcome ignorance?

Unfortunately, I doubt very much that I will ever see an opinion section such as that. I would be delighted if I were wrong. Until then, however, please take your own advice by not "ignorantly overlook(ing) or stereotyp(ing)" Christians, regardless of whether we are a minority or not. Thank you.

Megan Koehn

junior

English major

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Mr. Chapman, would it be acceptable to call you a bigot if you claimed that you loved blacks, but that your religion says they shouldn't be allowed to vote?

Would it be acceptable to call you a bigot if you claimed that you loved women, but that your religion says they should not be allowed to own property?

Of course it would.

So why is it not acceptable to call you a bigot when you claim that you "do NOT hate" Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender people, but that your religion says they shouldn't be allowed to marry?

In Loving v. Virginia (1967), the Supreme Court overturned a Virginia ban on interracial marriage, claiming it as an undue interference on "the fundamental freedom" of marriage.

You claim that I shouldn't consider you a bigot just because you want to deny me that same right. Why shouldn't I? Because the majority of Americans agree with you? Because your religion compels you?

I'm sorry, Mr. Chapman, but you remain a bigot in my book. History won't look kindly on people such as you.

Christopher Poirier

Sophomore

Political Science

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I've been reading these back-and-forth battles over gay marriages, and I came to the conclusion that someone has to be the voice of reason.

I question why this is even an issue. If a white man wanted to marry a black woman, would anyone have a problem with that? If you did, some might say you are a racist.

So, why is it when a man wants to marry a man everyone starts to have problems? Would that not make you a sexist?

Discriminating against someone just because of his or her gender. How is that any different than discriminating against someone because of his or her race?

You don't have to agree with homosexuality, but try to learn a little something called tolerance. How does a gay marriage hurt anyone?

Let everyone live their lives as they choose. If you think homosexuality is a sin, then fine. It still has nothing to do with you. So try this. Try respecting the choices of others because doing otherwise only proves your ignorance.

Mick Lenyo