Authors: Sean Star

Two four-goal performances helped CSU water polo earn its ninth victory of the year. Junior Annie Quinn and Senior Marisa Fernandez scored four times apiece Saturday in the Rams 16-7 win against the La Verne Leopards.

Quinn recorded a hat trick just two minutes into the second quarter to give her team an early 5-1 lead.

Assistant coach Michael Moody was impressed with the team's victory, particularly because La Verne had defeated teams CSU lost to last season, showing signs of improvement in the team's second year.

"It was a very physical game and we kept our composure," Moody said. "We controlled the ball on the offensive side and managed the shot clock."

Sophomore Andrea Lugo was in goal for the Rams making 13 saves.

CSU controlled possession for the majority of the game, generating 31 shots against opposing goalie Lindsay Jones.

Junior driver Laurien White added three goals of her own and Laura Scruggs chipped in two. Shari Worack, Monica Schuh and Rachael Thall each had a goal apiece in the victory.

"We're doing so much better than last year, everyone has improved," White said. The junior from Parker, Colo. noted that teamwork was the area of greatest improvement.

Quinn was glad to earn a victory in front of the home crowd, but expressed frustration that it was only one of four in the entire season.

"It's hard just because of the way water polo is, how it's so concentrated on the east and west coast. CSU has a hard time trying to find teams to come out here," she said.

But Quinn also said that as her team's improvement continues, so will the number of home games.

CSU (9-6) will play its third straight home game Thursday against Penn State Behrend. The team will not return home after that until April 14 when they play against Colorado College.