Authors: Grant Meech

The CSU men's lacrosse team defeated the Colorado College (CC) Tigers, Saturday, 9-3, at Washburn Field on the CC campus in Colorado Springs. The men improved to 2-1 with the win.

Sophomore attacker Tyler Treece and junior midfielder Pat Bird both recorded hat tricks against the young Tiger defense. Senior Tyler Bue of California, freshman Steven Lundberg of Englewood and junior John Tomlinson of Aurora all recorded goals against CC. Senior goalie Pete Jokisch had 11 saves on the day against 31 shots by CC.

Head Coach Flip Naumberg was pleased with his captain's performance. "Pete played well. The whole defense played well."

Despite the end result, the men struggled to stay focused throughout the game said Naumberg. "The offense played well at times, but we threw the ball away too many times."

The Tigers weren't as good as Naumberg was expecting and didn't live up to his expectations. He noted that CC didn't seem as motivated for the game. Discipline might have been the ultimate deciding factor for the Tigers.

CC committed ten penalties on the day, leaving chances for the Rams to score on man-up opportunities. The Rams committed their fair share of fouls as well, recording seven penalties on the day.

This marks the third consecutive victory for the Rams over the Tigers in as many seasons. CC is Naumberg's alma mater and he said it wasn't that memorable to beat them this time around.

"This is the third time in a row we've beaten them. It's not that special this time." Naumberg said. "I'm more interested in this team now."

The Rams will return to California next week where they will face Division-II Notre Dame de Namur, Stanford and No. 1 team in the nation, Sonoma State University.

Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com