Authors: Vimal Patel regionalcollegian.com

The attorney of a CSU professor accused of sexual assault on Monday waived her client's right to a preliminary hearing and asked for six weeks to review the facts of the case against him.

Entomology professor Boris Kondratieff is accused of sexually assaulting a child under the age of 15 in August 2003, according to court records. He faces up to 24 years in prison, police say.

Defense attorney Linda Miller said that she received discovery – the process by which the prosecution informs the defense of the evidence in the case – just last week, about a month after law enforcement officials had possession of it.

"This man's life is on the line, and we need the time," Miller said.

The judge granted the request, and the next court date is set for April 10 at which time the attorneys could reach an agreement or the case could go to trial.

Judge Terence Gilmore ordered Kondratieff to refrain from contact with the alleged victim or residence where she is residing.

Kondratieff has been voluntarily living outside the house up until now.

Professors at CSU have said they stand completely behind Kondratieff and believe the case will be resolved in his favor.

Monday he received the support of his pastor, who was in court to show support for Kondratieff.

"The church and I are 100 percent behind him," said Rev. Robert Lundquist from St. Paul's Episcopal Church. "He's not abandoned. He's got a congregation praying for him."

The pastor added: "He loves his family and he loves his work and he wants to get back to both."