Guns also save people

I'm writing this letter in response to Tim Waddingham's column "Guns do kill people." I do not wish to prove his conclusion wrong given the statistics he used. Accidents do happen when a large amount of guns exist in households. Reducing the amount of guns in the United States would indeed reduce the number of accidental deaths that occur every year. However, I do not believe that Mr. Waddingham adequately addressed the other side of the argument, that is, guns also save lives. Consider nearly every instance of genocide that occurred during the 20th century. Here are just a few examples: 1.5 million Armenians in Turkey (1915 to 1918), 800,000 Tutsis in Rwanda (1994), 2 million under the command of Pol Pot in Cambodia (1975 to 1979), more than 6 million Jews during the Holocaust, 7 million during Stalin's forced famine, and the approximated 30 million during the Chinese Cultural Revolution. In all these instances, the massacred public was subjected to stringent gun control laws and later had their weapons confiscated. They were killed only after they were disarmed. We should consider this whenever we advocate reducing the number of firearms in the United States. On a long enough timeline, we might actually be saving the lives of U.S. citizens by remaining armed.

Eric Olsen

2nd Bachelor's candidate in political science