The Hunting Tradition

Hunting is not an act of malice or supremacy; but an intimate way to connect with nature. A successful hunter, even today, must learn what animals eat, how they move and become acute to their senses. A hunter must fully integrate himself into the system he is hunting and is even subject to ecological cycles such as drought, early freeze and population peaks and crashes. It's freeing for many to not be in control of their environment, and it is a way to challenge themselves physically and mentally.

All the hunters I met are in awe of the animals they hunt. They know how they move, love how they sound and find great joy in just observing them even when a clear shot is out of range. Hunting is also a cultural tradition that ties families across generations and distances. A hunt is a time to forget the modern world; a time to tell great stories and commune with old friends and family. A hunter with a trophy on the wall will remember the people, the smells and the personal challenge they posed to themselves in successfully stalking and aiming. In a way, hunters can experience the rush of the wolf. This is the way of the world; in nature there are hunters and the hunted, summer and winter, birth and death.

For more information, Dr. George Wallace of the natural resource, recreation and tourism department gives a moving talk on the tradition of hunting.

Rachel Ridenour

senior

natural resource management major