Authors: Vimal Patel

The long arm of the law caught up with a man who allegedly assaulted a Fort Collins woman on Friday, authorities said.

Craig Davison, 40, is in custody in Texas after authorities said he sprayed his ex-girlfriend in the face with mace and tried to drive away with her in the backseat.

The 43-year-old Fort Collins woman escaped by jumping out while the car was moving but didn't suffer any major injuries, said sheriff's office spokeswoman Kathy Messick.

Davison, who fled in the woman's 1995 green Chevrolet Monte Carlo, has lived in northern Colorado since the fall and is originally from Texas.

He has a criminal history in his home state and is wanted for charges there, according to investigators.

Sheriff's officials received a report of an assault on the 1300 block of Webster Avenue shortly before 8 a.m. Friday.

Davison asked the woman for a ride to work and assaulted her after a dispute, authorities said. After spraying her and hitting her with the mace bottle, he allegedly forced her into the backseat of her own car and started driving.

Davison stopped and got out after his ex-girlfriend jumped, but sped away when the woman yelled for help and two employees of a local business came to her aid, authorities said in a press release.

The woman's vehicle hasn't been found yet, Messick said Sunday morning.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the sheriff's office at (970) 416-1985.

Vimal Patel can be reached at regional@collegian.com