Best Kept Secret Revealed

Authors: Julie Abiecunas

Do you think the $3.79 you spent for a Big Mac Value Meal was cheap? – how about $2.75 for delicious homemade manicotti served with warm baked Italian bread?

That's exactly what you'll pay at Canino's on Tuesdays when it's "retro night" at the restaurant, in which Canino's offers a few of their original dishes at prices reminiscent of the 1980s. Entrees such as the vegetarian sampler, ravioli, spaghetti and manicotti are priced just under $4.

In addition to the great food, the atmosphere can't be beat. The building Canino's inhabits was originally a house built in the late nineteenth century and still maintains a very classical Victorian feel. Complete with a homey Victorian fireplace on the lower level and delightful wood floors that squeak ever so slightly as you walk on them, this restaurant has the best charm of any I have yet to discover in Fort Collins.

The restaurant's atmosphere is also generally very quiet, perfect when you're taking your girl (or guy) out for a romantic evening. Having dined at Canino's a number of times, I have yet to have a bad waiter. The restaurant's waiters are very attentive and always make sure your water glass is filled and your table is receiving plenty of bread.

While the desserts may not be 'retro' priced on Tuesdays, they are undoubtedly worth splurging on. My favorite is the creme brulee with fresh berries. The crisp sugary top with the warm gooey center is the perfect way to cap off your manicotti or chicken Marsala. If creme brulee isn't your thing, their New York style cheesecake and chocolate cheesecake are also delicious. (Not the creme brulee, but a close second.)

Canino's is one of a few restaurants that makes eating out feel like you're actually getting away for the evening. The atmosphere is quiet enough that you can chat and reconnect with whomever you're dinning with, and the Victorian ambiance makes you feel as if you were taking a step back in time. From their delicious sandwiches served at lunchtime to the 'comfort food' they offer throughout the day, such as manicotti and stuffed shells, Cannino's makes any entree deliciously satisfying. Cannino's 'retro night' may just be the best keep secret lurking in Fort Collins.

I give it 5 stars.